The cold-weather running blues

How’s everybody doing? Its been a fun couple of days  up here in New England. We had a great 3 day weekend which ended with a trip to the Garden to see the Celtics and the return of Kevin Garnett! The game was awesome, the crowd was crazy, and we had a great time.

Today, I have the New England Runner’s Cold Weather Blues. I’m not talking about a dislike of running in the cold… I got over that awhile ago ;) When I look ahead in my schedule to plan my workouts and runs, Wednesday is usually a day I try to run outside, because my work schedule allows it. I have fun new running gear, Santa brought me a Garmin this year, and I want to use them! I’m not afraid to run in the cold or even some snow, but this morning, my driveway looks like this:

Looks like I can go ice skating if I want… but no running. :( And if my driveway looks like that, the roads can’t be much different. To the treadmill I go.

Do you live somewhere where it snows/sleets/ices/etc? How does weather affect your workouts?

This entry was posted in Running. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to The cold-weather running blues

1. Emily says:

I am finding these sleek and wet sidewalks really challenging also. The cold is one thing but spraining your ankle is another. I really can’t wait for Spring!

• Michelle says:

I LOVE winter… running and fresh veggies are the only things that make me look forward to spring/summer! Be safe!

2. Ugh – I don’t miss the days of avoiding snow/ice/sleet. Now that I’m in FL though, I have to plan runs around the SUN! During the summer I need to get runs done before the sun comes up, or after it goes down. It’s just too much to run in 100+ degrees with 99% humidity – it’s like running in a freakin sauna!

So, while all of you northerners are basking in your summer running season, we’re avoiding sun like the plague. And while you’re all dealing with snow/ice, we’re in our best time of year for running!

3. Erin says:

I can’t believe you were there! Your seats were awesome. We were up in the balcony…cheering for the Magic! :)

• Michelle says:

I saw your tweet! Then I realized you were probably rooting for the other guys. Did you know McLovin was there? I have never even seen Superbad, but people (including Dwight Howard) were going nuts for him.

4. I’m dying for spring…the weather affects my workouts big time because it has been a really crappy winter so far, I don’t think I have been able to run outside once :(

• Michelle says:

Now that you mention it… Aside from my New Year’s Day 5k, I don’t think I’ve run outside either this year!

5. Its tough to get outside when its cold out. I will go if the temperatures are low but not if there is ice or a lot of snow. I don’t like the treadmill for longer runs so I am hoping the weather cooperates for me this weekend!

6. I live in WNY, so there is definitely a lot of snow and ice!

7. I hate to say it but the cold weather makes me want to curl up under a blanket and eat ice cream – I see the problem with that statement but it makes sense to me! :)

But, I just tell myself that I’ll warm up after a quick walk/run so the weather is a temporary problem. Now, luckily we don’t have problems of sleet right now in TX!

8. Elizabeth says:

Love the Celtics pictures, Michelle! And I feel you on the ice skating rink, sister. I tried to get a short run in outside this week and found myself clutching a lamp post at one point. Not normal. Have you tried Yaktrax? I’ve heard the ‘pro’ version is good for running on ice/snowy roads. Hope you had a great weekend! :)

• Michelle says:

I have NOT tried Yaktrax, I’ll have to look into those! Its pretty rural where I live, we don’t even have sidewalks. I need all the help I can get!

9. Courtney says:

I live in MA too, and I have been doing a LOT of treadmill runs. This is the worst winter for running I can remember. Im not normally this wimpy–there is just SO MUCH snow, that the roads are narrow and the ice is everywhere! Longing for April!